Friday, December 6, 2013

German Road Tunes

During this term, I've been making a regular trip to Oregon State in Corvallis to my home in Keizer four days a week. That is over 44 miles one-way. That leaves me plenty of time to listen to loud music as I sip tea to keep awake on this regular 45-60 minute commute.

Music is a powerful teaching tool so I figured that I would listen to German music to try to get a better feel for the language . It worked for me when I was a kid back in the early days of Sesame Street and The Electric Company, why not now? While I am pretty eclectic with my musical tastes, I do tend to prefer certain genres of music--especially metal.

Rammstein was a no-brainer to add to my list. I've liked their music for a while now and they immediately hit my auf Deutch playlist on my semi-smart phone. They represent the largest share of songs on this playlist mainly due to my previous interest already had me collecting their songs.

Even in LEGO, Rammstein still kicks ass.

No matter how much I like a group, I will still need some variety over time. One band was not enough--I had to add to my list. My German instructor introduced me to a band called Ommph! It was not exactly what I was looking for, but this was one of those bands that do grow on you after a few listenings. While it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I liked their music so they were added to my playlist. 

I believe that Rammstein listened to these guys.

 This led to some research for more bands. Unfortunately, a lot of bands that pop up when you're looking for German metal seems mainly Black or Death metal. I'm more specifically thinking of what I call a "cookie-monster" band. I don't knock the music for anyone else--I just don't care for it.

Sorry, these vocals really annoy me.

To be honest, as school really kicked in, I did not have a lot of time to do continue my research for new German metal. I did find one final band to make their way onto my phone: Megaherz. I like the overall sound of this group with an almost DEVO-like sensibility to their keyboarding. The guy's voice is pretty bassy, but it is not into the subterranean depths that the "cookie-monsters" sing from. I already plan on getting two of their albums from Amazon.

I love these guys!

I spent a lot of time on that road listening to these groups at a high volume as I sped to and from school.Well over half the time I was listening to this playlist. But even then I had to occasionally take a break with some O.S.I.

One of O.S.I.'s mellower tracks.

or John Arch.

From early Fates Warning to Arch/Matheos, 
this guy can still sing!

With the holiday break coming up, I wonder who else I can find?

No comments:

Post a Comment